[Rhodes22-list] Masthead Light Blub

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Tue Jun 15 11:49:38 EDT 2010

I've had to clean my contacts about every year.  A bit of sandpaper is good to clean the male part of the plug.  A bit of sandpaper wrapped around the small screwdriver Rummy mentions will clean out the female part.  Blowing out the dust after cleaning is a good idea.  If you have a volt meter you can check the voltage at the connector to verify the wiring to the plug is functioning.  You can use an ohm meter to check to see if bulb is any good.  Should get a few ohms of resistance if the bulb and wiring are correct.  One trick I use now is every year before launching, I take a nine volt battery and using some spring clip jumpers I attach the battery to the plug and actually visually check my mast lights before raising the mast.  You have to be a bit cautious with the jumper wires to keep them from touching, but it's a good way to verify that the lights work before raising the mast. - Rob