[Rhodes22-list] OB Motors ( for Rummy)

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jun 22 09:35:09 EDT 2010

Loosing motor power (or the ability to use the motor) in a busy channel can
be very disconcerting and dangerous.  I see far too many boaters, not all on
new boats or newbies, who just "lose it" and make a bad situation much
worse.  Thank you for having the presence of mind to secure the boat at
anchor, safely out of the channel, while investigating the cause of the
problem.

I assume that the loose nut that you found was on the power connection to
the lift motor.  These are fairly common in automotive (starter) and marine
applications.  A nut is used to secure a wire lug to a binding post,
providing a high current path from the battery to the motor.  A lockwasher,
and in some circumstances a serated washer, is generally employed to
maintain tension on the nut, especially in high vibration environments.  A
rubber boot, containing dielectric grease, is usually fitted over the
assembly to prevent corrosion.  The nut should be tightened to a tension
specified by the manufacturer using a torque wrench to prevent damage to the
binding post while maintaining good connection.  Use caution to avoid
shorting the wrench to items attached to the other battery terminal since
high current feeds may not be fused.

Check to see if you have the lockwasher and be sure that it is properly
assembled.  Important connections such as these should probably be checked
annually to be sure that they have not been compromised.

Note to Stan: OK, who forgot to tighten the nut during final checkout?

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: <ftugwell at cox.net> Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:52 AM
> On Saturday I was single-handing my Rhodes on the Potomac with good
> winds (around 15 k) and when I decided to return to port, the engine
> would not drop--in fact, nothing happened when I pressed the remote
> (this is new) button to lower the lift.  I called Stan, who went through
> all the alternatives with me: a) checking the connections on the busbar
> in the laz, and on the battery; b) reading the instructions to find the
> release for the motor; and c) in an emergency situation, cutting the
> strap while holding the motor up with a line so that it does not drop.
> We had already determined that there was still power, since my
> instruments were all working.  I was in the middle of the channel with
> lots of boats zooming around and a good wind, so I decided to go back to
> the marina area and anchor to check things out.  Since it was relatively
> easy, I did reach in the laz and, to my surprise, I found a loose nut
> connection. (not a wire nut, just a nut)  After I tightened it, the
> motor lift worked.  Many thanks to Stan for walking me through this on
> my new boat.  An aside: no surveyor will approve a boat for sale if it
> has wire nuts.  these are not for marine use.
>

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Joe Camp wrote:
>
>> Rummy and Chris:
>>
>> There seems to be a Freudian undertone in all of this "nut" talk.
>> Can we switch to something more directly phallic, like "raising the
>> mast?" Just a thought, but let's not hide our true natures...men.
>>
>> Joe

>>> work. I'm pretty sure wire nut connections on a boat are not a