[Rhodes22-list] Washington Sailing Marina

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Mar 8 07:09:18 EST 2010

I don't think so though it is possible. From the reports I heard, all
of the boats that went down were centerboard boats laden with snow.
The Washington area had over 40 inches of snow and I believe some of
that was rain-soaked snow. I suspect most had centerboard trunks that
were not sealed above the waterline. The picture of the R22 showed it
floating but filled with water in the cockpit and cabin. I suspect
some other malfunction that allowed the excess water to weigh down
the boat above a broken hose or drain. It seems less likely that it
came in over the companionway but if the cockpit drains were plugged
with snow and ice, it is a possibility. I have to think the weight of
the snow had something to do with it as we get water blown out of the
Bay regularly in the winter and there have not been reports of
sinkings in the past. There were at least two covered boatsheds that
collapsed in these storms from the weight of the snow, not to mention
a couple of firestations in the Baltimore area.

It would be great to have more info.

Mary Lou