[Rhodes22-list] Boat Insurance Fun Facts

BenCittadino bencittadino at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 20:40:57 EDT 2010

Rhodies;

Forgive the new subject line but all this talk about boat insurance deserves
it's own I think.

USAA doesn't write boater's insurance (at least not in NJ), but they do have
a general insurance agency that represents Foremost Ins. Co. of Grand
Rapids, MI which does write a Family Boaters Insurance Policy.

In my case it insures my boat, trailer (if I had one), personal property and
provides towing, personal liability, medical payments, uninsured watercraft
and a nice little item called "removal of wreck".

I've searched in vain for some restrictions on where I can sail. There
aren't any.

However, here are some fun facts:

1- I'm not covered for loss from a nuclear explosion, but I am covered from
loss by fire resulting from a nuclear hazard.

2-If I had a power boat damaged in a race I would not be covered, but a
sailboat is covered for damage in a race.

3-I'm not covered for "mysterious disappearance", whoa!

4-Mold and mildew are not covered. (I assume that means on the boat not me).

5-"Inherent vice" (no kidding) is not covered.

6-Weight of water , snow or ice is not covered but if the weight of water,
snow or ice collapses the building it's stored in it is covered.

7-Damage caused by marine life is not covered (Great White Sharks???).

Read your policy sometime. It's very entertaining.

Smooth sailing,

BenCittadino
s/v Susan Kay (1993, recycled 2008).