[Rhodes22-list] Cotter pins vs. rings

R Orkin roryorkin at verizon.net
Fri May 7 16:12:05 EDT 2010

I use the same set up.. With rigging tape cotter pins dont snag.. I have
tried both pins and rings and find that both are a PITA.. Rings are more
expensive.. THere is a system I would like to try that is a pin attached to
velcro that you push through then wrap the velcro.. Perhaps someone on this
list has tried them.. Seems like they could be home made as well

Mary Lou Troy-2 wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
> We use rings and tape them where they might be snagged by a sheet. I
> hate cotter pins. No matter how smooth you make the ends, it seems
> that there is always something waiting to snag you or the sheet. With
> a Leatherman or pliers, they aren't too difficult to remove but I
> just don't like them. Actually, I fint the rings just as hard to
> remove under ordinary circumstances. We do try to keep an eye on them
> and replace them if they start to get bent out of shape or have
> protruding ends. I don't think we've ever had one release itself
> except when snagged by a sheet. That was the main sheet and the
> offending ring was one holding the mainsheet tackle to the boom
> (oops, bring her into the wind). Spares are always good.
>
> We also use a bit of monel wire on the screw end of the stays (inside
> the turnbuckle) to make sure they don't unscrew themselves. We used
> to use small zip-ties for that but when we replaced the rigging a few
> years ago the replacement parts had much smaller holes in the
> threaded pieces. We did have a shroud unscrew itself once. It wasn't
> a major problem with the other stays holding the mast in place but I
> did crossthread the turnbuckle reattaching it so that we had to
> replace the barrel.
>
> Mary Lou
> 1991 R22  Fretless
> Rock Hall, MD
>

> At 01:27 PM 5/7/2010, you wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>This may be a question more appropriate for those of you who leave the
>>standing rigging, well, standing, but I'd like to know what you use to
>>secure the clevis pins on your boats.
>>
>>As a bit of backstory, you should know that I've recently inherited
>>(pre-death) the Rhodes from my uncle, a lifelong sailor.  My sailing
>>experience is limited to a handful of daysails, but the Admiral in my life
>>has considerably more time on the water (she never lets me forget that she
>>attended St. Mary's College of Maryland, where, to hear her tell it, they
>>hand out ASA certifications with every diploma).
>>
>>My uncle, who is incredibly accident prone, is of the opinion that the
>>"cotter rings" (what I call "expensive stainless key chains") tend to come
>>loose, and basic cotter pins are more secure.  My (limited) impression is
>>that while the cotter pins may be more secure, they make it more difficult
>>to take out a pin if the need should arise.  It would seem that the rings
>>would make sense if you are trailering your boat quite a bit, but we'll be
>>in a slip for the season.
>>
>>I'd love to hear your opinions.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Porter