[Rhodes22-list] Follow up questions

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu May 13 08:09:09 EDT 2010

Leo, thanks for the pictures. That is one very interesting Rhodes 22!

Here are a few answers and suggestions.

Question 1 - That is bimini hardware. In one of the other pictures
(question 2 - I think) you can see the eyestrap forward of the genoa
track that the forward strap from a bimini would attach to. No idea
about the flush mounted block.

Question 3. The item in question is where you could lock in the
hiking stick that is part of the R22 tiller.

Spinlock - That is probably spinnaker hardware. It could be used with
a UPS sail as well.

BTW, I think you may have your genoa sheet misrouted although I'm not
at all familiar with the self-tending rigging. I think it should run
to the big block on the genoa track and then to the winch. You'll
probably have too much friction running it through that padeye below
the winch. That pad eye is part of the UPS hardware.

Bow - The boat doesn't look particularly bow down to me in that
picture. In any event, you'll be happy to know that the R22 is
supposed to sail a bit better when it is slightly bow down. We
routinely keep our water tank 2/3 full and store our spare anchor and
chain well forward to achieve that. Is the saildrive lighter than an
outboard? If so it might be the reason - most of us have big heavy
outboards further back on the stern and a lot of junk in the
lazarrette. Don't know how much the self-tending jib hardware weighs
but that might also be affecting the trim of the boat. In any case
don't make any adjustments until you sail it. My guess is that it is
ok. Especially if you put someone back in the cockpit.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD