[Rhodes22-list] Dock Lines Redux

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri May 14 15:36:44 EDT 2010

Porter,

Sorry about this glamour shot but it's the only picture I have that shows my
single bow cleat:

http://old.nabble.com/file/p28563556/At%2BEase-Hammock-Facing%2BAft.jpg
At+Ease-Hammock-Facing+Aft.jpg
The aft lines in the picture are 1/2" and the forward lines are 3/8".  I
prefer the 1/2" lines because they're more manly and everyone else at the
marina uses them (or larger).  However 3/8" lines are more than adequate to
secure our 3,000 pound boats.

The issue is the size and number of your cleats.  The aft cleats on my boat
are large enough to easily handle 1/2" lines.  Some Rhodes have two forward
cleats but I only have one.  My forward single cleat can handle two 1/2"
lines but barely, and the single bow cleat on some Rhodes is smaller.

This is the only situation I can think of where size really is important.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD

I was searching through the older posts and came across a discussion on dock
line size.  It seemed most people used 3/8'', but some opted for 1/2".

What do the 2010 Rhodies recommend?

Happy Friday,

Porter