[Rhodes22-list] anchor light

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun May 23 22:04:06 EDT 2010

Hi John,
We like it although it takes a bit of work to get
it set up properly. We really like being able to
take the genoa off without lowering the mast.
Some day we hope to have a smaller jib. The
Schaefer would allow us to change headsails. Not
something I anticipate on a daily basis or mid-sail but useful at times.

By "metal plate on the mast" do you mean the
halyard restrainer at the top of the mast? We
found it to be necessary. We had an immediate
halyard wrap without it. Because we also had a
halyard restrainer for use with the UPS, we were
able to rout the jib halyard through that along
side the UPS halyard. The halyard restrainer was
the same for each. They don't seem to interfere
with each other but we noticed some friction wear
on the jib halyard after only one season. We
think we'll get another season out of it without
having to do something about it. We have a lot of
extra line on that halyard so we'll just shorten
it a couple of times before we have to swap it
end for end. We also had to use a pendant at the
top of the jib to get the swivel in the correct
position. The Schaefer installation directions
(available on the web as well as with the unit)
are very clear about the positioning of all the various elements.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD