[Rhodes22-list] anchor light

Chris Cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Fri May 21 15:19:12 EDT 2010

Joe:

My new 2009 Rhodes came from Stan with three switches on the electrical panel.  "Mast head" light,"anchor light", "running lights".  When sailing/motoring at night my running light and mast head switches would be on and this provides power to the rear stern light, port and starboard lights mounted near the rub rail toward the bow and the single lamp that throws light forward at 225 degrees, I don't need the anchor light on because the stern light provides a white light off the stern.    When at anchor the running light switch is off, anchor light and mast head lights are on.  The mast head light switch powers a lamp at the top of the mast that has a forward throw only 225 degrees and the anchor light switch powers a lamp that has an aft thro only.  This way with mast head and anchor light I get a 360 white light at the top of the mast.  If in an approved anchorage area and out of a channel I might not need the anchor light but I would rather been seen than be right. Check out this web site for a description of light arrangements.

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/ReviewPages/BoatUSF/Project/info2c.htm

Christopher P. Cowie

4400 MacArthur Blvd, NW
Suite 300