[Rhodes22-list] Hit by a car, can my rhodes be saved?

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue May 25 10:56:01 EDT 2010

Hi Alex,

OK.  First, no one was killed.  Next, people who just fall asleep while
driving don't generally leave the scene.  Was the car stolen?  Was the
driver DWI?  In any event, the police will certainly determine all of this.

The real problem is determining the value of the boat.  Was Stan familiar
with the boat?  Had he seen it recently?  How much did you pay for the boat?

The good news is that the area that was hit hardest is probably one of the
best areas to have damage.  The impact must have lifted the entire boat and
trailer over the Honda's roof by the windshield, actually reducing the
potential damage by permitting the car to continue moving rather than
sustaining the force associated with arresting the car's motion.  Stresses
in this area are spread over a large area and the fiberglass is fairly thin.
There are few structural components in this section other than the hull
itself.  Did the damage impact the stern cockpit or just the laz?  Does the
damage extend to the area hidden by foam?  Is the cockpit floor buckled? A
competent 'glass mechanic should be able to effect a solid repair if the
damage is mostly to the hull.  Stan should be consulted.

Assuming that you might have some difficulty with the Honda owner's
insurance company, do you have insurance coverage on the boat?  Does your
auto insurance cover the damage since it was on the trailer (even if not
hooked to your car?)  Were the boat and trailer registered with DMV?   How
about your homeowner's insurance coverage?

Well, now it needs a bit more than a fresh coat of paint.  Maybe you can
recycle it through GBI.  Do you have a RHODES CERTIFICATE OF SUPPORT?

Good Luck,
Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY