[Rhodes22-list] Hit by a car, can my rhodes be saved?

Alex McKenna alex at brightrhino.com
Tue May 25 12:24:18 EDT 2010

Hi Alex,
That is so sad! What a shame. Amazing that no one was killed.

>As for the boat, that doesn't look good at all. You really will need
>to go through the entire boat to see if there is damage you are
>missing before you can determine if it is worth fixing. Is the
>centerboard trunk still intact? Are the bulkheads and stringers still
>in place or is there hidden damage there? You'll also need to check
>the hull on the opposite side from the blow to see if it is damaged
>from contact with the trailer bunks.

I haven't been inside the boat yet, I will take a look as soon as I can. The
boat did not appear to shift appreciably on the trailer, it was still
strapped on snugly, so perhaps there was little lateral damage.

>If there is any insurance money, it might be worth sending to Stan -
>he's fixed a lot of damage but I'd crawl around in it first before
>even making that decision. It might be easier to junk it and find
>another. If the damage turns out to be limited to the hull, it might
>be fixable. There are probably plenty of places down on the coast if
>your trailer is still operational.

Homeowner's insurance said they will only cover $1000 on the boat, and there
is a $1000 deductible on the policy, I may have better luck pursuing it with
his insurer.
The trailer was recently restored, and has all new running gear, hanger's,
springs, bearings, surge brakes etc. So I could drive it somewhere to have
it inspected for an estimate.

>If I remember correctly, this is an older boat. I guess the only
>saving grace is that you had not put all the work into restoring it.

It's an '81, I am glad about that as well.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Alex