[Rhodes22-list] Knockdown

Kathy Barron jbarron1 at cinci.rr.com
Wed May 26 22:07:19 EDT 2010

Ben,

Assuming you mean being close to a capsize in an unexpected manner....there's a reason that my boat is named "Puffin".

 The first year Jim and I had the boat we were sailing it on the small inland lake we knew well from years of racing our snipe. Our grown son, Chris, an excellent sailor himself, was with us. We had pretty much been on a run the length of the lake, headed for a beautiful patch of blooming water lilies.  A lovely afternoon, pleasant breezes, no heavy wind. We had both sails out full. At the far end of the lake we headed back to the dock, tacking, enjoying how responsive our beautiful new boat was. It seemed so perfect that I left the genoa cleated and started checking out the captains chairs. Chris, with his ever present camera, was in the cabin. Jim, the only responsible one in the group, was at the helm. Suddenly I hear him say "puff coming!" and looked up to see a patch of big wind on the lake. I don't know where these puffs come from, but the lake is known for "flukey" air. Before I could get to the jib sheet, or Chris out of the cabin, the boat went from vertical to horizontal. In a second, all three of us were on the rail, looking straight down at water gushing into the cockpit. I was sure we were going over! I remember thinking that I hoped Stan was right about the Rhodes not being capsizable under sail. Sure enough, the boat turned into the wind and bobbed right up like a cork. In a minute, the cockpit was dry. Amazing!! Needless to say, we pulled in some of the genoa and proceeded with caution to the dock. Chris still tells people we were trying to kill him :)  The next year, we went to a bigger lake with steadier air. It wasn't half as much fun!
This year, I have a dock back at Cowan, the smaller lake, since I'll be sailing by myself (or with Chris) and know the lake better. I hope that was a wise decision! Lots closer to the house though. My dock is right next to those water lilies...now maybe I should consider a hammock for the boat.
Kathy