[Rhodes22-list] George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 09:29:36 EST 2010

Hope this comes through in it's entirety. Happy Thanksgiving all.

George Washington's 1789  Thanksgiving Proclamation

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the  providence of
Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His  benefits, and humbly to
implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both  Houses of Congress
have, by their joint committee, requested me  to "recommend to the people of the
United States a day of public  thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by
acknowledging with grateful  hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty
God, especially by affording  them an opportunity peaceably to establish a
form of government for their  safety and happiness:"
Now,  therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of
November  next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that
 great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that
 was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering
unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of
the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the
signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His  providence
in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great  degree of
tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for  the peaceable and
rational manner in which we have been enable to  establish constitutions of
government for our safety and happiness, and  particularly the national one
now lately instituted for the civil and  religious liberty with which we
are blessed, and the means we have of  acquiring and diffusing useful
knowledge; and, in general, for all the  great and various favors which He has been
pleased to confer upon us.
And  also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and
supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to
pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in
public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties  properly
and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to  all the
people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and  constitutional
laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to  protect and guide all
sovereigns and nations (especially such as have  shown kindness to us), and
to bless them with good governments, peace, and  concord; to promote the
knowledge and practice of true religion and  virtue, and the increase of
science among them and us; and, generally to  grant unto all mankind such a degree
of temporal prosperity as He alone  knows to be best.

Given  under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D.
1789.

G. Washington (his actual signature)
____________________________________

NOTE:
Shortly  after the Thanksgiving Proclamation was written, it was lost for
130  years. The original document was written in long hand by William
Jackson,  secretary to the President, and was then signed by George Washington. It
was probably misplaced or mixed in with some private papers when the US
capitol moved from New York to Washington, D.C. The original manuscript  was
not placed in the National Archives until 1921 when Dr. J. C.  Fitzpatrick,
assistant chief of the manuscripts division of the Library of  Congress found
the proclamation at an auction sale being held at an art  gallery in New
York. Dr Fitzpatrick purchased the document for $300.00 for  the Library of
Congress, in which it now resides. It was the first  official presidential
proclamation issued in the United  States.