[Rhodes22-list] Backstay replacement/upgrade

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Nov 30 09:57:21 EST 2010

Joe,
I have to agree with Captain Bob on this one. I've seen several boats with
kinks in the standing rigging and it wasn't a problem. If any of the
strands are  broken, that's a different animal and I would replace it. No need to
replace all  the rigging, just the damaged stay. I wouldn't go any larger in
size since you  will receive no benefit from doing so. I've been extreme
sailing for years  without a single breakage. Most of the problems occur with
boats that are  trailered a lot. Constant take down and putting back up
subject the rigging to a  chance of kinking without careful planning. If it
ain't broke, don't fix  it.

Rummy

In a message dated 11/30/2010 9:38:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,