[Rhodes22-list] Hull "Oil Canning"

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Oct 12 09:45:46 EDT 2010

I knew I kept these drawings for a reason. I can't claim ownership, but
they should help you.

Rummy

In a message dated 10/12/2010 9:42:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
wa4tbr at bellsouth.net writes:

Like  Joe, I have found a problem with the hull on the 1980 model R22 that
purchased last month.
When I inspected the boat prior to purchase, I  didn't notice any
deformation of
the hull where the trailer bunks end at  the bow end of the hull.
After trailering the boat back home (300+ mile  trip) I noticed what I
would call
oil canning of the hull right in front  of the bunks on each side.
Looking under the floor in this area I can see  that there is a reinforcing
longitudinal bulkhead on the port side that's  in need of repair but I
don't see
one on the starboard side. This is in  the area below the flooring where
the head
is mounted.

Does  anyone have any photos of this area so I can see what reinforcement
SHOULD
be in this area? The seller had been somewhat less than forthcoming
regarding
the boat's history when I bought it. He later told me (after I  got the
boat
home) that he had made repairs to water damage in the area in  question but
it
looks like I'm going to have to make more repairs this  winter.

Anyway, if someone has photos showing what reinforcing should  be there it
would
be of great help to me. I'll take photos of mine later  this week to show
what I
have to deal  with.

Regards,
Orin