[Rhodes22-list] Hull "Oil Canning"

Orin Harding wa4tbr at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 12 09:15:15 EDT 2010

Like Joe, I have found a problem with the hull on the 1980 model R22 that I
purchased last month.
When I inspected the boat prior to purchase, I didn't notice any deformation of
the hull where the trailer bunks end at the bow end of the hull.
After trailering the boat back home (300+ mile trip) I noticed what I would call
oil canning of the hull right in front of the bunks on each side.
Looking under the floor in this area I can see that there is a reinforcing
longitudinal bulkhead on the port side that's in need of repair but I don't see
one on the starboard side. This is in the area below the flooring where the head
is mounted.

Does anyone have any photos of this area so I can see what reinforcement SHOULD
be in this area? The seller had been somewhat less than forthcoming regarding
the boat's history when I bought it. He later told me (after I got the boat
home) that he had made repairs to water damage in the area in question but it
looks like I'm going to have to make more repairs this winter.

Anyway, if someone has photos showing what reinforcing should be there it would
be of great help to me. I'll take photos of mine later this week to show what I
have to deal with.

Regards,
Orin