[Rhodes22-list] Winterizing (Dave)

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Oct 14 10:34:55 EDT 2010

Dave,

I certainly don't recommend my winterizing process but so far it's worked
for me.  I launched my recycled 1986 in March of 2005.  I keep my boat in
the water with a de-icer (bubbler).  Once every two years I put it on the
hard for a couple of weeks to have the outboard serviced and bottom painted.
I never cover it, remove the sails, or touch the batteries.  Typically I
sail all twelve months of the year but last winter I didn't get out once.  I
was able to visit the boat and air her out when she wasn't covered in snow.
I don't remove the cushions but that sounds like a good idea even though
mine haven't mildewed yet.  I ensure my water tank is empty enough to allow
expansion for freezing.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p29962967/024%2BSnow%2BStorm%252C%2BDecember%2B2009.jpg
024+Snow+Storm%2C+December+2009.jpg

If you sail in the winter keep your ears, hands and feet warm; and don't
fall overboard.  Since we live in the same neck of the woods you're more
than welcome to come out for an out-of-season sail.  As you know it's rare
that we don't get a 50+ degree day every month.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD

Question for the list: What do Northern Rhodes owners do to winterize their
boats?

Thanks,

Dave
Rhodes 22 2006/Recycled 2010