[Rhodes22-list] Bottom paint

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.com
Sun Oct 17 17:39:51 EDT 2010

Kathy:

My boat sits in the water on a fairly clean lake, but the water is quite
warm and I end up having to do bottom paint about every 2 years; probably
could away with 3 but I don't chance it.  Up north in clean, fresh, cool
water it might even go longer.  I hear that hauling the boat out and
exposing it to the atmosphere for awhile on a trailer is hard on the
ablative paint.  I have been using the Pettit Trinidad for ablative and
haven't noticed a problem hauling it out and just cleaning it and putting
back in if I am not into the next coat.  None of it is cheap, but that's a
pretty good bottom paint for the money.  Have the yard save you some in a
can so that you can touch up any areas that might get some abrasion, like
the rudder for instance.

A lot of yards use different colors for the coats of ablative paint so that
you can tell when the newest coat is wearing thin.  If you haven't had paint
in 3+ years I am guessing that what is left on there will have to be lightly
sanded off, so you can get good adhesion and get a good blister check done
just to make sure.  Every few years my boatyard finds a couple and repairs
them, it's really not unusual for boats that sit in the water, so don't be
surprised if you have a few even in fresh water.

David