[Rhodes22-list] Hello everybody--I'm back after lots of years--maybe time for another new R22

Rhodes22Dave Rhodes22Dave at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 23:06:49 EDT 2010

I bought my Rhodes 22 in late 2000 and had it delivered by Elton to Lake
Travis, Texas (near Austin) in April 2001.  My boat has been sitting in the
water ever since (I've never trailored it--just sailed down to a marina a
couple of times for bottom paint).

I think the last time I posted on this list was when a teflon ring slipped
off its set screw inside at the top of my mast where it separated the mast
from the inner furling system.  I did use Stan's crain system to lower the
mast by myself right over the water, replace both the teflon ring and the
mainsail, and then raise the mast and reset everything--and then lower and
raise it again because I forgot something.  That was many years ago.

I dropped off the list as the mailing list inbox got longer and longer, but
now I will do the best I can with a new email account just used for this
list.

My wife and I live in Houston and drive to Austin (3 hour drive) almost
every weekend.  Two years ago we also bought a motorboat for a slip at our
weekend house on Lake Austin--we were the only house with an empty slip--so
now we split our time between the two boats and the two lakes, but sailing
is by far my favorite.

After ten years, mostly in the hot sun, it is time to do the maintainance
that I would have done myself all along if I lived here and especially if we
had a winter where the boat comes out of the water for storage and repairs.
Instead, winter is the best time of year for sailing here (the second half
of fall through the first half of spring).  Summer is good too--if you like
100 degree heat, less wind, and lots of ski boats.  So in the summer we
don't go out until early evening.

Being lazy, instead of replacing all the lines, fixing the head and doing
other routine maintenance, I am thinking of buying a new Rhodes 22 almost
exactly like my existing one, and giving him mine back to refurbish for
someone else.  I talked to Stan about this a year ago, but I keep
procrastinating because mine still is fully operative (except the head) and
relaxing and fun.  It's just that I don't know how much longer Stan can keep
making boats--none of us are getting any younger--and ten more years from
now my existing Rhodes 22 may be a candidate for Davy Jones Locker.  I hope
I am not too late.  I keep thinking that one of these months or years I am
going to find out that Stan has fully retired.

I was encouraged to see that someone on this list took delivery of a new
boat from Stan this April.  Sounds like General Boats is still in business.
I am 70 and don't think I'll be lasting nearly as long as Stan has, but I
haven't retired either.

Anyway, it will be good to read the posts from some of the names that I
remember well from my prior time on this mailing list.

Dave (or David--I use both versions equally as much)