[Rhodes22-list] Battery Question

Rhodes22Dave Rhodes22Dave at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 01:25:07 EDT 2010

I have a 2001 R22 with three solar panels--used in usually sunny weather in
Central Texas, with long, hot summers.  If there is a battery switch on my
boat, I have never found it.  But with the solar panels "on" all the time,
I've never had an overcharge problem.  My batteries last two or three years
between having to change them.  Just last Saturday, I went out to the boat
and found that the motor wouldn't turn over.  (I haven't tried to measure to
see if the solar panels are still working.) I have to go out to the boat to
look at how the batteries are wired, because I can't remember if the two
batteries in the cabin are connected with the one near the motor in the aft
compartment.  If they are connected, it would be safest to replace and fully
charge all three batteries at the same time.  But I hate to pay the extra
cost as compared to finding out which battery is weak, since I am in the
process of waiting on a new R22 and trading in my 2001.

Dave

Does the battery switch need to be left on in order for the solar panels to
maintain or charge the batteries?

Deena