[Rhodes22-list] Pictures and details

Lynn Hoffman drfood55 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 20:07:20 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Michael D. Weisner <mweisner at ebsmed.com>wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> It may be interesting to note that this is a problem that was addressed by
> Stan in the original design of the centerboard.  Probably before yours was
> modified by a previous owner, the lift points on the centerboard were not
> fancy blocks but rather fixed stainless tubes between pieces of medium duty
> stainless plates that were attached to the board (through bolted pairs of
> plates.)  The plates were probably Dwyer DH 72-5 Shroud Tangs (5" x 1" x
> 5/64").  Nothing rolled but the line slid on the fixed tubes well.  Due to
> the duty cycle, abrasion was not an issue.  I never worry about the block
> being off-center and hitting the cap or jamming since it is fixed.
>
> I wish I had a photo.
>
> Mike
> s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
> Nissequogue River, NY
>
> From: "BillyDoc" Sunday, October 24, 2010 2:31 PM
> >
> > Ouch! I wish I had thought of that before putting in those fifty bolts.
> > You
> > are exactly right, of course.  The next time I have it apart I will
> > definitely de-articulate the blocks with some epoxy putty.
> >
> > Thanks for pointing that little problem out!
> >

> > Geankoplis wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Bill,
> >> Nicely done.  Well engineered, well thought out and great detailed
> >> information on materials.  There is one concern.  Having owned a couple
> >> of
> >> Rhodes for  pretty much the last 34 years there is a potential problem
> >> that
> >> I ran into. This involved an articulated rather than a fixed block.  On
> >> the
> >> off chance you run aground the articulated block without the tension of
> >> the
> >> pennant will flop sideways and will probably jamb in the centerboard
> >> trunk
> >> or without the plates simply  break off a bit of the trailing fiberglass
> >> edge of the centerboard. It happened to me twice before I figured it
> out.
> >> Next time you go into the centerboard you may consider fixing the blocks
> >> so
> >> they can't move left or right, er, port and starboard matey.  Hope this
> >> helps.
> >> Chris Geankoplis

Here's what's up for me these days;

http://www.radiationdays.
<http://www.radiationdays.blogspot.com>com<http://www.radiationdays.blogspot.com>

Lynn Hoffman is the author of The Short Course in Beer and The New Short
Course in Wine. You can read a sample or order your e-copy at:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/16714

•Had enough of gun violence? Read the story of a woman who does something
about it .
*Paula Sherman and the National Rifle Association  *

get your e-copy for $4.99 at
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/23266