[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Upwind

Rhodes22Dave Rhodes22Dave at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 01:14:58 EDT 2010

I'm glad to learn there is another R22 not too far away, and I've just
learned of yet another one on Lake Travis, besides my 2001 R22.  Sometime
this winter I will be taking delivery of a new 2010 model that I have
ordered from Stan.

I'd enjoy seeing yours sometime.  Did you get a new one four years ago, or a
refurbished older one?  We can compare notes on experiences including with
the options we have on our boats.

Did you have a particular reason for electing the 130 over, say, a 140?  I
ordered a new Rhodes 22 today and have decided to go smaller than the 175,
but haven't yet decided how much smaller for our weather and lake
conditions.  I guess if I might want to add a UPS or other foresail, I
should consider asking Stan to add an extra halyard and hardware--besides
for what is already there for the furling Genoa.  But since I am not racing,
I am not convinced that I need an extra sail.  I am already used to having
the slowest boat over 20 feet on the lake, as far as I can tell.  It doesn't
hurt enjoying the wine and cheese near sunset, at all.  I was an
intercollegiate sailboat racer.  I retired from that decades ago.

Anyone who wants to see my R22 can find it in Slip D-2 at Sail & Ski Marina
(formerly called Yacht Harbor) on Lake Travis,  just north of Lakeway off of
FM 620 turning to the lake on Stewart Road.  I'd be happy to sail with
another Rhodie.

Dave (David Keyes)