[Rhodes22-list] Water in bilge from line w/o check valve?

Alan Robertson bigal_61 at msn.com
Mon Sep 6 22:43:00 EDT 2010

We also have a thru hull for the sink which we plugged from the outside. Our factory-installed Ruhl bilge pump is routed under the sink and out through a hole into the cockpit. Hole is through bulkhead and located under starboard side cockpit seat. We never use it since we never get enough water in the bilge to turn it on automatically. Rather, I cut out a 5" square piece from the cabin floor board, this right next to forward bulkhead ;I tapered the cut out square so it would fit back in the hole to cover up and so carpeting does not get wet. We use sponges and scoop( small flour scoop) to swab out bilge and dump into small bucket which when full gets dumped back into where it came from.
If cabin seat drains next to the lazarette cover can't handle a downpour, overflow slops into lazarette and finds its way into the bilge via the bottom hole though the forward lazarette wall. This is where most of our bilgewater comes from.

Alan & Barbara Robertson