[Rhodes22-list] Water in bilge from line w/o check valve?

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Sep 10 11:23:31 EDT 2010

Rick,

The centerboard trunk should not leak at all, period!  It is at or slightly
below the water line in our craft.  The most likely reason for water in the
bilge when sailing hard is a leak at the rub rail (or forward facing vents.)
At anchor, the most likely source of water intrusion is a poorly sealed deck
fitting, chain plate, window or hatch.  In storms, the whole boat leaks,
especially wind driven rain under the ungasketed poptop or laz overflow due
to plugged cockpit seat drains.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Rick" Friday, September 10, 2010 10:32 AM
Plus, I get water when I sail.  I figure wind rocking the boat forces water
through the trunk cap seal.

Rick