[Rhodes22-list] Water in bilge from line w/o check valve?

Chris Cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Fri Sep 10 12:31:24 EDT 2010

I was having water infiltration issue on my new Rhodes last year.  One problem I had was water dripping at the cabin top rail connection points.  I didn't want to break a good new seal on the rail so I added sealant on and around the rail on the outside were it meets the cabin top.  This didn't solve the mystery drip and I suspect water was getting in from some other penetration and migrating to the only cabin ceiling penetration.  I removed all the cabin top hardware and put in new sealant and the drip is gone.  This will probably be an annual sealant maintenance program.  The second source of water was accumulating in my bilge and I suspect it was heavy condensation in the fall as the outside water and outside and inside air temperatures changed with the seasonal changes and sun beating down thru the translucent hatches.  My solution to this second source of water was to install a nicro vent to replace the anchor rode vent, I also removed the anchor locker and have much better air circulation below.  So far my bilge has been bone dry and I will keep an eye on things through the fall.  I agree that the centerboard trunk should not leak at all.

Christopher P. Cowie

4400 MacArthur Blvd, NW
Suite 300
Washington, DC  20007