[Rhodes22-list] CDI Furler

Ben Schultz benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Fri Apr 1 16:56:47 EDT 2011

I've got an equipment issue for the group.  The CDI furler for my headsail
has a silver cylinder over the furling drum.  It has a big aft-facing
opening to let the furling line in without chaffing, and then appears to
serve no purpose other than to hide the furled line and drum for cosmetic
purposes.

My silver cover has started turning with the furler.  The effect is that the
furling line furls around the outside of the cover rather than going inside.
If I'm paying attention, it's fine, and I'm able to wind it off and furl the
genny normally.  But if I get sloppy, it falls off the cover and makes a
bird's nest on the bow.

So my first question is what is supposed to keep the cover in place?  I
don't see a spot where a screw is missing or anything like that.

Second, is there any reason I shouldn't just cut the damn thing off and let
the furling drum be exposed to the world?

Thanks,

Ben