[Rhodes22-list] ///////Getting ready for launch//// A couple of questions

lkgore lkgore at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 11:48:49 EDT 2011

Hi again,

Purchased her last fall -- 1979 (8) Rhodes 22. Didn't get to sail a lot due
to work and wifey health problems. Pulled her late fall. Planned on an April
15th (or so) launch date.

Step by step:
1) Over winter replaced or reinforced hardware and did minor projects and
got cabin ready for weekending/ pocket cruising

2) Straightened bent mast and checked/ reinforced rigging

3) As spring approached cleaned her from stem to stern inside and out

4) Decided to touch up antifouling paint prior to launch

5) Decided too many coats of antifouling -- start sanading bottom thus
trashing the cleaned hull.

6) Notice weeping from trailing edge of the keel once paint is removed

7) Remove 3/4 inch plywood forming cabin sole to get better look at bilge--
decide to cuprinol boards (since they're out)

9) Purchase oscillating tool (if you get one buy extra blades -- they don't
last long). Cut out glassed in fore and aft stringers supporting cabin sole
plywood to get full look at bilge.

8) The present. Having successfully trashed the boat both inside and out and
finding myself with hopeless  projects that have multiplied exponentially
I'm now shooting for a November 29th launch date since I like to pull her in
early December.

Question 1) I've taken pictures-- bought sd card reader -- transferred them
to computer (skills I didn't previously possess) but every time I try to
post them on this board it says "File too large". I've learned how to shrink
the photo but to no avail. Any photo posting tips?

2) Anyone here in South Hampton Roads with a Rhodes 22 that I might look at?
You show me your bilge I'll show you mine. I'm by the Oceanfront in Virginia
Beach.

3) Anyone with photos of a genuine Rhodes 22 bilge? Mine has some (shall we
say) creative glasswork  inside around the keel and trunk.

In the words of the immortal Bing Grimsrud, "My, my, isn't yachting fun?"

Thanks for any help in advance,
Keith