[Rhodes22-list] Bottom Painter Puzzled (CHRIS)

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue Aug 23 11:34:54 EDT 2011

Elle,
Check Boat/US website on hurricane prep. I haven't looked at it this
year but there used to be lots of resources.

Probably a lot depends on whether you expect wind or water or both.
We're watching this one too. In 2003, we expected wind for Isabel. We
pulled the boat, lowered the mast (because of the issue of securing
the IMF sail and the General Boats style jib furler). Stored the boat
on a high spot in the boat yard, removed the bimini and discovered it
would fit in the  cabin and hoped for the best. We didn't get wind
but we got the 8 foot surge much like what they got in Annapolis but
not much in the way of waves like they got further south. Water came
up to the hubs on the tires. If it had come up much higher boat and
trailer would have been floating. Fortunately that next foot is even
less likely.

If I was thinking about anchoring in a creek, I'd want to be very
sure of the holding ground, perhaps supplement anchors with lines to
shore and look upstream thinking about debris coming down. Were you
there during Isabel? If not (and maybe even if so), talk to your
neighbors and your marina about what happened during Isabel. Does
anyone in the area have good secure moorings?

Best of luck
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD