[Rhodes22-list] Glag I hauled

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Aug 30 13:15:40 EDT 2011

Wow!  After reading all of your hurricane stories I feel soooo lucky.  I
think Rummy had the worst damage without earthquake or hurricane.

Our neighborhood was built in nontidal wetlands which is realtor-speak for a
swamp.  After the swamp was developed some of the ancient oaks are now more
exposed and when their shallow roots get saturated it's easy for a good wind
to come knock them down.  We had lots of big trees fall around us but none
of them hit our house.

Some miniature pines fell at the marina but only one landed on my baby.  The
top of one of the pines was resting over the cockpit and the boat was
covered in needles, branches and sap.  The cockpit drain was clogged and
with the weight of all the water and the motor, the boat was doing some
serious listing.  It looked terrible but after draining and cleaning there
was no damage!  Here are a couple of pictures after most of the clean-up and
after moving my boat to the adjacent slip:

http://old.nabble.com/file/p32366183/IMG_1281.JPG IMG_1281.JPG

http://old.nabble.com/file/p32366183/IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1285.JPG

My big concern was a huge tidal surge (I think we had six inches)--wasn't
worried about getting hit by a tree.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD