[Rhodes22-list] Compass & Jack Stands

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Fri Dec 2 09:41:10 EST 2011

Rusty,
Yes, the Rhodes does have hoist points on the bow and stern.  I've heard GB has used these three points to lift and move the boat, but have not witnessed it.  One person painting their boat used an engine hoist to lift the bow eye to hold up the bow and then jacked up the stern to get the boat off the trailer for painting.  I recently used a strap on one of the stern hoist points to lift the whole stern off the trailer.  When I was trailering my boat back from where I bought it, I stopped for gas.  On the way out of the station one of the trailer tires ran over a curb and the entire stern of the boat rolled and shifted on the trailer enough so that the keel slid off the roller on the trailer and was caught on the edge of the roller.  The way I straightened it back up was to put a strap on the stern eye on the low side and loop the strap over the forks of a fork truck we have at work.  I could then pick up the stern of the boat.  I actually had to lift it high enough so that the stern was completely off the trailer and then push down on the high side to get the stern to rotate back into place.  I suppose with a strap attached to both stern eyes you could lift and hold the stern off the trailer.  Shoot, with a couple of strong trees or a barn with strong enough supports and a few come-a-longs, you could probably easily lift the boat off the trailer. - rob