[Rhodes22-list] Ice Box

peter klappert peterklappert at comcast.net
Wed Feb 9 15:23:24 EST 2011

Chris--

This won't help you replace the Rhodes icebox, but the info might be of use on one of your circumnavigations.

I've had a Coleman "Extreme" cooler for almost 2 decades & it continues to amaze me. I've filled it in Washington DC and still had ice 5 or 6 days later when I got to California (driving alas, not sailing). Not a lot of ice, but nothing has gone bad, either. I usually freeze blocks of ice ahead of time at home, or even freeze frozen food items inside blocks of ice.

The drawback is that the 14 x 20.5 x 17 cooler only has about 10 x 16 x 12 inches inside, thanks to all the insulation. But when I do finally sail to California, I'll have the cooler on board.

You've been so generous with information when I've asked, I thot I should at least offer this testimonial.