[Rhodes22-list] wind indicator

Wickman, William E WEWickman at spectraenergy.com
Mon Feb 28 09:08:17 EST 2011

I use a windex at the top of the mast and like it.  I also have a VHF antennae so what I did was fabricate a piece of flat aluminum bar with the antennae on one end and windex on the other.  It is long enough to allow the windex to spin freely.  I usually have my mast down a couple of times a year and spray a bit of WD-40 then, and never travel with it mounted.

I don't have the indicators on my shrouds but would like to get some, though I don't know why.  I also rely on the wind on my ears.

Another good "tool" are the tell tails that are located directly on the sails.  I actually think they would be better down low than shroud indicators.  The ones I have are yarn and I don't like them because they seem to always stick to the sail.  I plan to replace them with light plastic ones.

Bill W.
s/v Fina Lee