[Rhodes22-list] Sailing from Orient Pt (NY) to N Myrtle Beach (SC)

BenCittadino bencittadino at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 19:33:50 EST 2011

Mike ;

I have crewed a 31' Hans Christian with a total of four people from
Annapolis to Keyport, NJ and can recommend a course from Sandy Hook, NJ
south about 1 mile off shore south to Cape May,NJ harbor, through the Cape
May canal to the Delaware Bay, up the bay to the Delaware-Chesapeake canal,
to the Chesapeake Bay and SE to Annapolis. That small part of the proposed
trip (in reverse) took 3 days with the Jersey coast taking nearly 24 hrs at
about 5 knots. It was worth the inshore protection to use the
Chesapeake-Delaware canal, but after Annapolis southbound I'd be clueless.

We used a hand-held GPS but there are East coast maps easily obtainable in a
bound chart book from Nauticalcharts.com.

Perhaps someone else can fill in the Annapolis to North Myrtle Beach
section.

A 4 section watch rotation was comfortable for me, but I'll bet the
Annapolis to Myrtle Beach stretch will take five or six days, especially
with the Gulf Stream so close to the shore near the Outer Banks of NC and in
the wrong direction. Is he planning on coastal piloting or a big tack to
Bermuda and back??

Later,

BenC