[Rhodes22-list] Locking/Securing the Cabin (broken lock on pop top hatch)

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Sat Jul 9 17:53:42 EDT 2011

Brian

I had the same issue with my '85.  Stan mailed me a small HDPE plastic
rectangle with two screw holes that mounts on the pop top and acts as a
striking surface for the bolt of the key lock. It keeps the hatch from
sliding forward with the lock engaged.

You also will need another Stan-provided item, a plastic hook, line and clam
cleat.  The clam cleat mounts on the slanting wooden front of the cabin step
support and keeps anyone from lifting the pop top from outside the cabin
with the hatch shut.

With the hatch locked from sliding forward, and the pop top hooked down with
the line, the hatch boards are trapped and cannot be removed.

Security is relative.  This will keep lazy thieves out.  Someone could break
the hatch boards open or rip the HPDE hatch board slides out of the cabin
and get in.  That's why I don't keep anything worth stealing on my boat.

Best wishes

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03