[Rhodes22-list] Subject: '98 for sale on sailingtexas.com

David Culp daculp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 14:30:57 EDT 2011

Everybody:

Thanks for everything over the years.  I have always enjoyed the group here
and this is the only discussion group that I have ever wanted to stay a part
of long-term.  I will continue to live vicariously through you all for the
near future and I am glad the boat is staying in the family.

I have one last story to tell:

A few years ago, I thought I had a leak because I was seeing a little water
in the bilge.  I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, so I started
taking stuff out of the cabin.  In fact, I eventually took everything out
except the sink counter and sink to check all areas,  the trunk gasket, etc.
 Turned out that it was merely the forward thru-hull gasket.  Hard to spot
initially because it didn't do it much in the slip, but easily fixed.  So
the lesson is... Check the thru-hulls first, the forward one is sort of
hidden.

The reason I am telling the story is because I sailed my boat a few times
completely stripped out and it was noticeably quicker with the reduced
weight.  I am not saying necessarily faster, but quicker on tacks, etc.
 Didn't feel like I was losing as much speed maneuvering as with the normal
setup.  Makes sense if you think about it and if you look at pictures of
cabins on "J" boats and other cabin boats that folks race, you'll notice
that there isn't much there.  The Rhodes has a DPN of about 100 and the PHRF
would hopefully be reasonable to begin with anyway.  These are good numbers
to start with, add a fair sailor to it and Catalinas, etc. look out!   We
don't have any class rules to violate, so choose sails and a crew based on
the wind speed and go for it.  I think a couple of boats in our fleet even
have spinnakers, don't they?

If somebody wanted a good boat to be "sneaky" quick on Wednesday nights,
Charles' boat sounds like a good place to start because of the sparse cabin
and new slick bottom.  Add a small battery up front if you want lights and
be a "beer can" star.  Otherwise, ready to build-in a customized cabin.  If
I were in such a situation, I would seriously consider it because the Rhodes
is easy to sail even under the influence of rum (so I'm told) and the
cockpit is so rail-meat friendly.  I was always a day sailor and didn't
spend much time in the cabin anyway; so if you aren't going to use it, why
carry around the added weight?

dc