[Rhodes22-list] Yamaha Outboard is overcharging battery

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Jul 17 10:29:41 EDT 2011

I will add that when we installed the switch, we ran the idea by
Yamaha (I forget if it was by the local tech or via email) and they
said it would be OK. At the time we installed it, we heard from some
folks who know a lot about outboards that running the motor with the
switch in the off position would fry the diodes in the charging
circuit. It was a risk we were willing to take and so far no
problems. The outboard still charges the battery (we have a Link 10
monitor and can see the results) and as Fred says our AGM is still
keeping a good charge. Most of our charging is from shore power but
the outboard charging is more important to us than it used to be
because the Yamaha is electric start. We only have the one battery
though when cruising, we do take along a jumper pack which gives us
miscellaneous additional charging possibilities and also can serve as
an emergency starter battery.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock hall, MD