[Rhodes22-list] cockpit filler support panels

Stephen Staum snstaum at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 08:57:51 EDT 2011

David,

My pine boards are 1\2" thick & have not cracked in 7 years under my
245 lbs. FYI, they have never been painted or varnished & are stored
under the cockpit seat on a mooring in salt water.

I guess they are strong enough.

Stephen Staum
87 R22, Carol Lee
Needham, MA

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2011, at 12:00 AM, David Bradley <dwbrad at gmail.com> wrote:

> I bought the cockpit filler panels and cushions from Stan when we
> bought our
> boat in 2006.  We love them - our favorite option after the captain's
> chairs.  I don't mind storing the four cushions in the vee berth.
> Storing
> the four panels (1" plywood I think) up inside the gunnel from under
> the
> starboard cockpit seat keeps them securely out of the way.  It's a
> bit of a
> wrestling match to get them in and out, but it keeps you limber.
> They also
> add a bit of weight.
>
> The eleven smaller boards that Stephen mentions sound like a nice
> improvement provided the 1" pine boards (if I remember correctly)
> are strong
> enough.  I could envision kneeling on one board and the concentrated
> weight
> breaking the board. Might consider using plywood.
>
> Dave
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 5:33 AM, Chris Cowie <ccowie at cowieassociates.com
> >wrote:
>
>> Has anyone recently purchased a cockpit filler system from Stan and
>> how
>> does that compare to what others are doing?  The newer boats have a
>> rail
>> that runs around the edge of the cockpit seats that I assume is
>> designed to
>> accept the filler panels and that a filler cushion or two would be
>> made to
>> fit between the seat cushions?
>>
>> Christopher P. Cowie

>>> boards.  The 11 boards were cut to fit across the footwell from