[Rhodes22-list] Sculling

Bob and Kathy Quinn bobandkathyr22 at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 30 18:10:21 EDT 2011

On our initial R22 our inherited engine was "iffy," so we carried a canoe oar.
The sculling and canoe oar brought us safely back to our slip a number of times
when we could not sail in.   My brother did a surprise visit one evening when we
sculled and paddled in.  I said something lame about the motor to which he
responded:  "it looked so natural that I thought that's how you came in every
time."   Yes, it works best when the wind is down but wind only adds a bit more
time.  As to effort, don't try to scull "too hard."  Just get a steady rhythm
going and keep the motion smooth.  The second person (if you have one) with the
oar adds to the movement and can steer.  There are several sized canoe oars.
The shorter ones will fit in the shelves in the forward berth area out of the
way.

Bob in Florida on the "NoKaOi 3"