[Rhodes22-list] Back On The List

peter klappert peterklappert at comcast.net
Thu Jun 9 11:45:18 EDT 2011

Luis--

I was just shopping for an outboard (problem now solved) and did quite a bit of research. You may find a shortage of options due to the tsunami. I was interested in the Tohatsu 9.8, but Nissan & Mercury are also made by Tohatsu. There's an article in the May 2011 Cruising World which gives basic info on 7 models, but the best sources are  Practical Sailor reviews: June 2007, March 2009, August 2010. They consistently favor the Mercury 9.9. Stan advises to get a high thrust, such as the Merc 9.9 BigFoot or the Yamaha T9.9GELH (manual shift). Good luck.

Someone I cared for

Someone I cared for
put it to me: Who
do you think you are?

I went down the list
of all the many
possibilities

carefully — did it
twice — but couldn't find
a plausible one.

That was when I knew
for the first time who
in fact I wasn't.

		--Cid Corman

from And The Word. © Coffee House Press, 1987