[Rhodes22-list] Motor to tiller slave lashing mechanism

Ron Kaye ronkaye343 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 16:16:36 EDT 2011

OK so after trying to fix the temperamental 2005 Yamaha 9.9 that came with
the boat (carburetor seemed to be stubbornly clogged with varnish or
whatever) and ending the season on an "iffy" note as far as the future of
that motor is concerned, it was stolen off the boat when stored at a place
where that had reportedly never happened before.  So with insurance
compensation and a suspicion that ethanol had damaged the fuel system on
that Yamaha, we bought a new Merc 9.9 Bigfoot extra long shaft.  I know,
most of you like the Yamaha but we had nothing but trouble with it and the
Merc boasts that it can run an ethanol mix - parts are easier to get
etc.  We hope it will work.  Yes its a bit heavier by about 9 or so lbs.
Really wanted the x-long shaft and that only came on the 9.9.

OK that's the background.  The old Yamaha had one of those nice connections
between the head of the motor and the tiller.  Of course when the thieves
ran off with that motor they kept the connection that attached to the motor
- still have the tiller side and the connector part - for what that's
worth.  We'd like to rig this motor the same way but don't know where the
part is - at Merc?  Is it universal?  Custom job?  Anybody out there have
any ideas?

BTW we aren't in the water yet this year - that should happen tomorrow
hopefully.  Hope that motor starts at least.

Ron & Lisa of the Nautisaurus