[Rhodes22-list] Main sail clew shackle

Christopher Cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Wed Mar 9 19:42:33 EST 2011

Geoff:

I think that type of shackle relies on some friction that may have been lost if you squeezed the ends together.  You could try prying the shackle apart again to regain the friction.  I had a similar problem about a year ago and replaced the shackle with the same type and it has worked fine since.  There is probably a good reason to use the type of shackle that is in place rather than a screw in type.
Christopher P. Cowie

4400 MacArthur Blvd, NW
Suite 300
Washington, DC  20007