[Rhodes22-list] New York

Andrew Collins sailingvesselcarmen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 16:06:08 EST 2011

Hi Ben

I haven't been following the list much but as fate would have it an errant
look brought up the Liberty island info you gave. My engineering firm just
finished a new retail and restroom facility on Liberty Island ( see
www.pacollinspe.com). So I learned a lot about the island. It is owned and
managed by the National Parks Service, but is part of NY. Originally called
Bedloe's Island, it was expanded using fill from the subway tunnel
excavations. It used to be part of NJ (and geographically still is), but was
ceded to NY and owned by the federal government since 1800. Technically an
exclave of NY in NJ, it is administratively part of NY and receives
telephone, mail and legal jursidiction from NY but power, water and sewer
from NJ! Ellis island is even worse, jurisdiction is shared between NY and
NJ.
The food is still all fried, but now the restrooms are nice and new and one
can buy souvenirs in air conditioned comfort.
Someday I would like to sail around it, but am fearful of descending the
East River from LI Sound. Maybe someday with somebody who knows the waters.

best

Andrew C
s/v Carmen