[Rhodes22-list] 3 sails so far

Joe Camp jjcampjr at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 12:13:21 EDT 2011

Hola, mis amigos y amigas:

     As you all must realize, I am only an occasional commenter here.  However,
all of this talk about first sails of the season has inspired me to say that I
put my boat in early in March on Kerr lake in NE North Carolina.  I was alone on
the water, save some ruddy fishermen.  The sailing was very nice that day.

     I have been out two more times.  One was the subject of an email to Stan
about my slip mate and his first sail on an R22 (mine, of course).  He was in
heaven, an altered man (as it were).  He was unable to contain his marvel
relative to every aspect of my boat's design and performance.  He was
flabbergasted that she is a 1987 retread, and thought it was new. So many on the
lake have made the same mistake.

     Then, we got out last Monday with my sister and her husband, visiting from
Ohio.  Light breeze till we were out on the lake, then frenetic unbalanced winds
as a front moved in.  It was thrilling for me, but a harsh introduction to
sailing for them.

     I am pulling her out of the lake in July for our move to Pennsylvania.
 She'll be dry until the next spring, when I put her back in on the upper
Chesapeake: the Bohemia River.  The time out of the water will go to adding a
radio, antenna and compass... maybe a depth finder.  On the lake, those things
were not absolutely necessary.  We'll see.  I have to get a trailer off of Stan
soon.  He's been guiding me on the best used deal I can get. (gotta love that
Stan).  He may not be my type, exactly, but certain exceptions can be made.
 "Sail on, sail on, sailor."

Joe Camp
s/v John Dawson