[Rhodes22-list] New Sailor Fears

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue May 10 09:49:37 EDT 2011

Bill,
As you sail your new boat you will understand why the R22 is the perfect
family boat. In heavy wind, the hull will only heal so far and then the
rudder  leaves the water and you round up into the wind. No harm no foul. It's
built  into the design of the boat.
Now, that being said, with enough rail meat, thirty mph winds and  alcohol
thrown into the mix, I actually have been able to lay Rum Runner on her
side with the mast in the water. It's a long story and I won't bore you with
the  details. The important thing is that we were able to right the boat
easily and  continue sailing. We ended up with about fifty gallons of water in
the bilge  which we easily pumped out with an electric pump. Only damage was
we lost three  rum and cokes and one pack of cigarettes. The interior dried
out in a day or so  and no damage anywhere. Remember, the Rhodes has positive
flotation built into  it. That means that you can fill the hull with water
and she won't sink. I have  pictures somewhere of Stan actually testing the
positive flotation by trying to  sink a hull.
Comfort will come the more time your children spend on the boat. My wife
was afraid at first, primarily because she never considered herself a good
swimmer. Now she's the first one up on the gunnels  when we need rail meat.

Rummy

In a message dated 5/9/2011 9:54:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,