[Rhodes22-list] New Sailor Fears

BenCittadino bencittadino at gmail.com
Tue May 10 10:39:54 EDT 2011

Welcome Bill;

One more thought....I have come to the conclusion that the only real danger
which comes from the boat heeling is "man overboard". I sail in a bay open
to the ocean and have adopted an "everybody wears a life jacket all the
time" policy. This is a tough rule to enforce on hot days in calm weather in
the summer but I am the Captain and it is enforced. With the risks attendant
to boom swings hitting heads, wakes from large vessels, and other unforeseen
hazards I just feel better knowing nobody will slip beneath the waves into
Davy Jones' locker without giving me a chance to come about and pick them
up.

The good news is that they make some very comfortable non-bulky life jackets
now. Your kids will definitely complain about wearing flotation devices,
especially after they get a little confidence.

Practice "man overboard" maneuvers under sail until you get really good at
it.

Oh yeah...have fun too.

Best,

BenC