[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard engineering question

atmcneil atmcneil at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:04:08 EDT 2011

I have a 1981 Rhodes and I've had continuing trouble with the centerboard
trunk. So I have it all apart in the side yard but I couldn't get the
centerboard back into the truck. The trunk walls are bulging inward slightly
and the centerboard has a bulge about 2/3 down from the top.

I tried grinding the bulging centerboard down a little, but I open up a hole
in the board. A grey/silver power came out of the whole. I'm not sure what
it is but I'm treating it as if it's powdered lead.

Does anyone know how the old centerboards were constructed?

I'm thinking I will dig expand the hole to level out the bulge and then
cover it with Marine-tex.

Any suggestions are appreciated.