[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard engineering question

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Mon May 16 22:03:08 EDT 2011

Hi,

  The older centerboards are a lead/fiberglas resin mix as far as I know.
The trunk itself is a concrete core in a fiberglas shell. If water
penetrates either they will swell, the centerboard from Fiberglas
deterioration and the trunk from concrete expansion. Your approach to repair
the centerboard should work but when finished you should consider sealing
the board with Interlux e2000 barrier coat or some equivalent epoxy sealant.
The repair of the centerboard trunk is more extensive and for that I will
refer you to a file made by one R. Philaja a former list member and Lou (the
miracle worker) Rosenberg a still current member whose article explains it
far better than I can.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p31634376/r22boardtrunk.pdf r22boardtrunk.pdf

Good luck hope you're sailing soon

John S