[Rhodes22-list] Electric Outboards

peter klappert peterklappert at comcast.net
Tue May 17 10:50:18 EDT 2011

Does anyone have thoughts on or experience with electric outboards?

Practical Sailor pretty much says it's too soon. The 01/2010 issue reviewed the new Solid Nav 4-hp & seemed to prefer the Minn Kota RT80, though they found it "fragile compared to the Solid Nav." They mention a Torquedo 6-hp Cruise 2, but haven't tested it.

So I shelved the idea of getting an electric for the R22 I'll pick up in Edenton this summer, though I'm still considering carrying a small electric (a) as back up for a gas engine and (b) for trolling. Does anyone do this? How do you mount a small electric without removing the primary engine?

BUT....

About a week ago the 05/2011 Cruising World arrived with a review of outboards for pocket cruisers & dinghies & that makes the Torquedo Cruise 4.0 sound like a real possibility. 8 hp (9.9 thrust), 38 lbs, but expensive: $3800.

The Torqueda is much lighter than any gas engine but--aside from ease of mounting/removing--any weight advantage is probably illusory given the weight of high-quality marine batteries. PS tested the Solid Nav using a bank of 4 (!) North Star Energy 1 Group 24 AGM batteries. They run $373 each & weigh 59 lbs each.

I'm stumbling around in the dark here. I don't know if I can even define volt, amp, watt, etc. I like the environmental implications of electric, the lighter weight (I could mount the Torqueda myself), and I'd like to avoid the hassle of ethanol in gas  & consequent water absorption (or the cost of ethanol-free marine gas).

So if anyone has an opinion or has heard anything about electrics, I'll be glad to hear it.

DC / FL