[Rhodes22-list] Electric Outboards

GNHbus at aol.com GNHbus at aol.com
Tue May 17 11:23:44 EDT 2011

Greetings,
Not so, the technology is 100 yrs old, the Europeans, specifically, UK,
North, are 15 yrs ahead.
you're in a sailboat right?

In a message dated 5/17/2011 11:16:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mweisner at ebsmed.com writes:

Peter,

I think that the statement about it being too soon  for electrics is really
correct.  The world is waiting for better  battery technologies.  The auto
market is pushing the envelope and  the marine usage will eventually reap
the
results BUT they will not be  cheap!

For now, I think that a small gas outboard is still the best  choice (a
lightly used 2 stroke is much lighter and reliable but not  entirely
environmentally friendly).  We use so little fuel that it is  a no-brainer
compared to electrics.  We mostly use the engine in port  (mooring &
docking)
and those mid-afternoon lulls when we must return  to port and cannot wait
for the evening wind.  We use less than 12  gallons per summer (probably
6-8
gals).

Remember, these are really  backup propulsion systems.  The R22 already
uses
the cheapest,  lightest, most ecologically friendly power system, wind.
Reliability  leaves a bit to be desired, but even a calm day on the water
is
better  than the best day on land.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer  ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "peter klappert"  <peterklappert at comcast.net> Tuesday, May 17, 2011
10:50  AM

> Does anyone have thoughts on or experience with electric  outboards?
>
> Practical Sailor pretty much says it's too soon.  The 01/2010 issue
> reviewed the new Solid Nav 4-hp & seemed to  prefer the Minn Kota RT80,
> though they found it "fragile compared to  the Solid Nav." They mention a
> Torquedo 6-hp Cruise 2, but haven't  tested it.
>
> So I shelved the idea of getting an electric for  the R22 I'll pick up in
> Edenton this summer, though I'm still  considering carrying a small
> electric (a) as back up for a gas engine  and (b) for trolling. Does
anyone
> do this? How do you mount a small  electric without removing the primary
> engine?
>
>  BUT....
>
> About a week ago the 05/2011 Cruising World arrived  with a review of
> outboards for pocket cruisers & dinghies &  that makes the Torquedo
Cruise