[Rhodes22-list] Electric Outboards

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Tue May 17 21:08:12 EDT 2011

I would think the decision to go electric would depend alot on where you
plan to dock and sail. If you dock your boat at your lake house,close to
open sailing waters,you would most likely love going electric. If you have
to power thru currents or tides on your long trip to your sailing
waters,then electric is going to be alot less atractive.You would have to
have shore power at your dock to go electric,solar power would not be able
to replace the lost watts,unless you lived on the equator and only sailed
once a month.
You need to decide how you are going to use your boat to see if electric
is a viable option for you. If you want to coastal gunkhole and anchor out
for a week,it will be hard to make that battery bank last.But if you stay
in a marina every night on that cruise,plug into shore power and charge up
every night , it could be done.It will require more thought and harder
choices.
My experence with electric is with a Com-Pac-16 (1100 lbs.)and a 40 lb
thrust Minncota trolling motor. I'm on a small-well protected lake,with a
1 mile motor to sailing waters from the dock.I would get three trips out
and back on one charge if I ran it on the number 3 setting (of 5),two
trips if I ran it on 5. I tried it on the Rhodes 3 times,top speed was 3.5
knots on high speed.I would charge the battery after every outing.One time
on the way back to the dock,bucking a ten mph wind,I just about didn't get
back.
A neat set-up for a trolling motor on a sail boat is to mount it on the
rudder off to one side.Stan may be able to make you a bracket.

   Jerry Lowe